Flashing - Vycor Plus Self-adhered flashing for windows, doors, detail
Sold as a lot/bundle of 3 rolls. $50 ($105 value) Will not sell individually.
VYCOR® Plus (US Version)
Self-adhered flashing for windows, doors, and details
Moisture Control is the First Step to Mold Control
Water from both exterior and interior sources is among the worst enemies of building structures. When water enters the wall system and remains there for a long time, it creates a favorable environment for the development of rot, mold and mildew. Proper waterproofing and flashing practices are necessary to ensure high quality, longlasting construction.
The risk of rot and mold is a major concerns for homebuilders, contractors, architects, and homeowners. Repairing rot and mold is very difficult, and extremely costly. Window and door openings, deck-to-wall intersections, foundation sill plates, corners, and other penetration areas are the most common water entry points. A self-adhered flashing membrane, properly integrated with the other elements of the building structure, creates a barrier to water and air infiltration and a drainage plane for water to drain out of the wall.
VYCOR® Plus high performance self-adhered flashing membrane provides premium protection against water and air infiltration in all critical non-roof detail areas. When properly installed, it can reduce the risk of rot and mold development, often associated with costly call-backs.
VYCOR® Plus self-adhered flashing is composed of durable, cross-laminated, high-density polyethylene sheet, backed by an aggressive, pressure-sensitive rubberized asphalt adhesive. VYCOR® Plus flashing is available in a range of widths: 4 in. (100 mm), 6 in. (150 mm), 9 in. (225 mm), 12 in. (300 mm) and 18 in. (450 mm) to accommodate a variety of job requirements. RIPCORD® split release on demand feature is included in 6 in. (150 mm), 9 in. (225 mm) and 12 in. (300 mm) wide membranes.
RIPCORD® split release on demand
Easier and faster to install correctly
Improved product performance
Easy to integrate with housewrap and other weather-resistive barriers
Reduces the risk of rot and mold development
Features & Benefits
- RIPCORD® — With the sophistication of construction practices it becomes a must to follow the proper sequencing principles. RIPCORD® split release offers the flexibility to install half the membrane before and the other half after the other building envelope components are installed, i.e. housewrap or felt. Only in this way are the proper installation principles followed.
- Easy to work with — Membrane installation is fast and easy— simply remove the release paper and press onto the substrate. With VYCOR® Plus flashings allow contractors to flash more windows with better quality.
- Superior adhesion capabilities — The membrane creates a strong bond to the substrate for long-lasting waterproofing protection.
- Seals around fasteners — The specially formulated rubberized asphalt adhesive seals around fasteners, allowing no water to penetrate and get to the substrate.
- Forms water-tight laps — VYCOR® Plus flashing's superior adhesion properties ensure strong laps, even in seams in the flashing.
- Measurement markings — The membrane surface is clearly marked at 6 in. (150 mm) and 12 in. (300 mm) intervals to facilitate the installation procedure.
- Highly conformable and flexible — Can accommodate settlement and shrinkage movement.
- Proven track record — VYCOR® Plus flashing employs the same proven technology as our Grace Ice & Water Shield® —the market leader in self-adhered underlayments for over 35 years.
- Long-lasting waterproofing protection — The polyethylene film and the specially-formulated rubberized asphalt components create a water and moisture barrier that does not degrade from the effects of the environment.
VYCOR® Plus self-adhered flashing is a unique solution, appropriate for working around a number of detail areas, including, but not limited to:
- Window and door openings (headers, sills, jambs, thresholds, nailing flanges)
- Deck-to-wall intersections
- Inside and outside corners of sheathing
- Wall-to-wall tie-ins
- Foundation sill plates
- Sheathing panel seams
- Under stucco finishes
- Masonry walls
- Other non-roof detail areas
|Product thickness||25 mil (0.64 mm)|
|Carrier film||Cross-laminated HDPE|
|Recommended exposure limit||30 Days|
|Roll width(s)||4 in. (100 mm)||6 in. (100 mm)||9 in. (100 mm)||12 in. (100 mm)||18 in. (100 mm)|
|Roll length(s)||75 ft (22.9 m)||75 ft (22.9 m)||75 ft (22.9 m)||75 ft (22.9 m)||75 ft (22.9 m)|
|Rolls per carton||18||12||6||6||2|
|Shipping weight||74 lbs (33 kg)||74 lbs (33 kg)||56 lbs (33 kg)||74 lbs (33 kg)||36 lbs (33 kg)|
|Cartons per pallet||30||30||30||30||
Precautions & Limitations
VYCOR® Plus self-adhered flashing is designed for critical NON-ROOF flashing details. The membrane is slippery—DO NOT install on the roof; DO NOT walk on the membrane.
Do not leave the product permanently exposed to sunlight. Maximum recommended exposure time is 30 days. Due to its slight asphaltic odor, apply this product where the membrane is not exposed to interior living space. VYCOR® Plus flashing should not be used in hot desert areas in the southwestern United States.
VYCOR® Plus flashing is not compatible with flexible PVC. Contact window manufacturer for specific application instructions required when using a bituminous-based flashing. Certain metal window applications with integral nail fin may have specific limitations.
Some solvents in certain caulking may be incompatible with the adhesive in VYCOR® Plus flashing.
For more information, check with your local GCP Applied Technologies technical sales representative.
Apply VYCOR® Plus flashing in fair weather when the air, surface and membrane are at temperatures of 25°F (-4°C) or higher. After precipitation, allow a minimum of 24 hours for drying before installing the flashing.
Install directly onto a clean and dry surface. Some compatible substrates include wood, plywood, oriented strand board, metal, concrete and masonry. Remove dust, dirt, and loose nails. Protrusions must be removed. Surfaces shall have no voids, damaged, or unsupported areas. Repair surfaces before installing the membrane.
Priming is generally not required for most substrates provided they are clean and dry. However, on concrete, masonry and DensGlass Gold® , apply PERM-A-BARRIER® WB Primer. If adhesion is found to be marginal, prime wood composition and gypsum sheathing also with PERM-A-BARRIER® WB Primer. The coverage rate for PERM-A-BARRIER® WB Primer is 250–350 ft2/gal (6–8 m2/L). Allow primer to dry completely, approximately 1 hour depending on weather conditions, before application of flashing.
Using the 6 in. (150 mm) and 12 in. (300 mm) measurement markings, cut the membrane to the desired length. Peel back the release paper to expose the adhesive. Align the membrane and press into place with heavy hand pressure.
Laps must be a minimum of 3 in. (75 mm). Mechanically fasten the membrane at all vertical terminations. Use only smooth shank fasteners.
Consistent with good construction practice, install the membrane such that all laps shed water (following the shingle principle). The top membrane layer should go over the bottom layer. Always work from the low point to the high point. When needed, use RIPCORD® split release on demand to split the release paper and adhere half of the membrane, while leaving the other half with the paper on. This is required when flashing a window sill before the housewrap/ weather resistive barrier is installed.
We Also Recommend
7", Chimney Anchor Plate, Selkirk, 207400, 7T-AP, Fireplace, Duct HVAC